Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sour Grapes

Being an underdog my whole life I have leaned different ways to cope with losses and defeats and, from my personal experience, the best way is to convince yourself that you don’t really care and therefore minimize the pain of not getting what you really want.

The girl that got away really wasn’t your type after all; the college that turned you down really wasn’t your first choice; the accolades you failed to achieve really weren’t that big of a deal - the list goes on. A sour grapes mentality is one of the most effective weapons in our arsenal of defensive mechanisms by which we keep ourselves from becoming overly depressed or dejected over our losses.

That’s exactly the mentality that some people from tu had after they lost the Lone Star Showdown for the first time in four years. Instead of taking the loss graciously and congratulating the winner, they acted like they had bigger fish to fry and couldn’t care less about the loss. Responding to a reporter’s inquiry, their athletic director even acted like he had no idea where the trophy was being displayed. What a joke! If they keep on behaving like that, I am afraid it’s going to take a while for them to get the trophy back.

Winning like a big boy is easy to do, but losing like one takes real character. The way some tu people responded to the LSS loss reveals who they really are. I am so glad I chose to be an Aggie t-shirt fan.

4 comments:

Michael said...

T-Shirt fan? So you finally admit it.

Anonymous said...

I think I have been following everything Aggie more closely than you, Buddy. Besides, I look pretty good in maroon and white.

William said...

I hate those sips

Aggie said...

sips really are the worst.