Thursday, May 15, 2008

On Spying




William reminded me yesterday that I have neglected posting about my eldest in my blog. “Rob would get hurt. He is very sensitive, you know,” he said. Being a busy Wall Street banker I don’t think Rob has any time or energy to care about what his father does in his spare time. Nonetheless, for the sake of fairness I will make a brief post about Rob.

One of my favorite things to do when the boys were growing up was to spy on my children’s courtship of girls. One can hardly blame a daughterless father for doing that, really. Blame Cornelia’s inability to deliver, I had been waiting far too long to have a daughter and, as years went by, this longing turned into some sort of neuroses that made me spy on my children’s dating life. I remember vividly what happened when Rob asked a girl to the prom. It took place right before tennis practice. I rarely missed the boys’ practice for fear of missing a Kodak moment such as that. I saw Rob sheepishly approach a girl and mumble something to her. The girl’s face lit up and she could not stop smiling throughout the entire practice. I knew something had happened. Unfortunately, Rob couldn’t stay awake through prom night and the relationship failed to blossom. It was nonetheless an exciting experience for me. I was, in fact, preparing to be the father of a blonde daughter then.

Since Rob has been dating a wonderful girl for a while now, my attention has turned to my other two sons. Knowing my idiosyncratic habit of spying on them, Michael has learned to guard his communication with the opposite sex, or the lack thereof, very tightly and it has become impossible for me to get any inkling of his dating possibilities. I even enlisted someone to help me spy on him, but Michael was alerted somehow and cut off the important source of my information for good. I tried to spy on William as well, but things are going pretty slow with him these days. William started to read out all the names of his female contacts from his cell phone after I mocked him for not having any trace of female voice-traffic on his telephone for the longest time. “Water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink,” I said to myself.

Now you know what a pathetic dad I am! By the way, I am willing to pay for any “juicy news” about my sons (Michael and William) and the amount of the payment will depend on the degree of juiciness of the news and the difficulty of acquiring the information. E-mail me if you have any news and we will discuss the terms.

5 comments:

Aggie said...

This blog is seriously great.

I have plenty of juicy info on Michael. But it's worth 2 nights of sweet and sour chicken dinners.

Anonymous said...

In my defense, I don't normally read off female contacts from my phone. I was pushed to uncharacteristic lengths by the guru.

Anonymous said...

like I said on the blog, Justin, the payment will be entirely determined by the juicness of the news. I have been fooled many times.

Your coming for sweet and sour isn't a reward for you really, it's for Kathy and me, for we enjoy your company so much. Payment will be made some other way if it's deemed worthy of the price. We will talk. This has to be good because if this turns out to be false, I will forever lose you as a major source. Michael will not tell you anything concerning his babe interest from now on.

EJ Chang said...

I can't tell you how much I appreciate a good Samuel Coleridge quote in the middle of a blog post! Well done.

EJ Chang said...

oh, and I don't have any juice on William. Sorry. I'll talk to my sources though.