Thursday, May 22, 2008

Parenting




“Parenting is not for cowards,” I quoted Jim Dobson in one of my previous posts, speaking about the trials and tribulations of being parents. Not only is this the case for us humans, it is so for the birds as well.

“Parenting is not for the birds,” I concluded after witnessing an unfortunate incident in our backyard this evening.

“There must be a bluejay couple in our yard. They seem to be having a good time together,” I said to Kathy as we were sipping tea on our swing.

“They sound pretty excited about something,” replied my wife.

“A happy bird couple. How sweet,” I said. As I was about to drift into some sort of deeper discussion on marriage, Kathy interrupted: “Look, there is a baby bird over there!”

Yes, there was a baby bluejay standing still a few steps from us.

“It must have fallen from its nest,” Kathy suggested.

“Perhaps.” I looked up and at the top of our giant pecan tree there seemed to be a nest.

“That must be it,” I said to my wife.

“How are the birds going to take the baby back to the nest,” I asked.

“They can’t,” Kathy answered.

I wish I could do something for them. The bird family appeared to be in a grave crisis. For a short while I even thought about putting the bird back into its nest myself, but gave up the idea rather quickly, for I have never been a good climber and I am afraid of heights.

“We need to keep Melvin away,” Kathy said, referring to a hateful cat in our neighborhood who is constantly lurking under our tree, looking for birds to devour. So William and I moved an old wooden gate to block the opening of our short fence. That was the least I could do for the bird family, I suppose.

I know the first thing I will do tomorrow is to check on the bird to see if it survives the night without its mother. There is no doubt in my mind the bluejay parents will lay awake all night, worrying about their lost baby. I have done that myself many a night, even though my children have never been lost or in grave danger such as this.

“Parenting is really for the birds,” I sighed.

5 comments:

William said...

That bird rules

j. coggins said...

i'm gonna need bird updates

Aggie said...

sounds like a job for the Nacacabinga. he's pretty good with birds.

Unknown said...

I'd love some bird updates too! All of this bird observing sounds like a day in the life of a bird keeper. Hopefully he'll call for his parents loudly enough so they can at least come feed him.

Anonymous said...

I just went outside and looked. The baby bird was standing alone agianst the fence in the dark. The mother bird fed the baby twice while we were watching in the evening. I hope it makes it through the long night. I have been taking care of my dog who is having trouble walking, and now this bird. I am emotionally spent.