Sunday, February 8, 2009

Being an Aggie Fan




Being an Aggie fan prepares you for life, for life has its ups and downs and, as you and I have experienced, mostly downs.

Being a tee-shirt fan, I do have the choice of taking this one off and putting another one on, but, akin to romantic love, this is such an emotional thing that we can hardly help it. I have fallen in love with the wrong person.

My first love was Ole Miss, where I was a legit fan, for I do have a degree to prove my affiliation to her. But being an Ole Miss fan was a piece of cake, because I had such low expectations for all things Ole Miss; therefore an occasional victory brought me unbelievable euphoria. Defeating Tech soundly in the Cotton Bowl was one of those few occasions that didn’t happen very often. When you expect to lose the war, winning a small skirmish can generate great excitement, but when you expect to win big, a small loss can really bring you down.

The Aggies are supposed to be one of the big boys, so I naturally expect them to win consistently, and to win big occasionally; but the sad truth is that we seem to lose most of the time and lose big almost every time when we play for something meaningful. We have a big brother who breathes down our necks, and a pesky little brother we seem to have great trouble handling. Truly we are caught between a rock and hard place.

Why can’t Sloan do what Acie had been doing consistently? Why did we let Jackie go – a coach who actually knew something about motivating a group of men to fight for their lives on the field by castrating a Longhorn bull in front of them before he took them to Austin? Guess what? They won! Why did we bring coach Fran home even though mama wasn’t even calling? Who in the world got the idea that man was a fair exchange for a Bear?

“Come on, just take off your tee-shirt!” I can almost hear you true Aggies yelling at me. No way, Jose. Not going to do it. Being an Aggie fan does prepare me for my life, because it has toughed me up a great deal. It really helps me to deal with all the trials and tribulations of life. Indeed life is a series of disappointments, and being an Aggie fan surely equips you to handle it more gracefully. Therefore Aggie fans, cheer on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take off your t-shirt!!!

Anonymous said...

Ha great post, Dad