Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009 Resolution

New Year’s resolutions are made to be broken. We know this to be true by experience, for we all have broken our share of resolutions. If so, why make another one to fool and to disappoint ourselves at the same time. Why is this time going to be different? Surely these resolutions will be different from all the other ones, because hope is what sustains us and we will have nothing to hold onto unless we still have high expectations for ourselves and optimistic views on life in general. All our previous relationships may have ended in tears and heartache, but it does not mean our next one will be a repetition of the last ones. Fitzgerald’s Gatsby was a true romantic because his dreams and aspirations didn’t die at the moment when all things seemed to be falling apart and he was hoping against hope that Daisy would come back to him against all odds.

Rambling aside, here are my resolutions, which can be summed up in two words: reduction and addition.

First, I will make an effort to reduce, not my waistline, but my frequency of doing something that I know, either through my conscience or revelation, is wrong. Putting it more bluntly, I will try to sin less (preferably of course, not to sin at all, which, realistically and experientially, is not possible).

Second, I will make an attempt to increase, not my wealth, but my love for God and for people, which is the fulfillment of the law and the prophets. Being a one-talent person, I really don’t have a lot to contribute to the world, but one thing that I can give out freely is love; and the more I give, the more my ability to give will increase. I therefore resolve to do one good deed of love a day for people other than my loved ones.

These are my humble resolutions for the year 2009 and I challenge you to do the same. Please do hold me accountable if I fail to keep my promises in my words or actions. This resolution, mind you, isn’t made to be broken like all my previous ones.

No comments: