Sunday, December 7, 2008

Phoenix and Dragon

“The phoenix and the dragon are a perfect match,” goes a Chinese saying, meaning people should marry to someone of their own sociological, intellectual, and cultural rank to guarantee a happy marriage. I don’t think I totally agree with this notion. Opposites attract, so we have an inclination to find someone completely different from us. In my case, I honestly did not have a clear picture concerning my future mate when I was young and foolish. I had no idea what I wanted in a mate, but I surely knew the ones to whom I didn’t want. My chauvinistic idea wouldn’t allow me to marry someone better than me, so it was never a part of my plan to marry someone who was taller or smarter than me, let alone to a woman who was not of my own race. Before I met my future wife I didn’t have to worry about that because I was relatively tall as an Asian and intelligence wise, I wasn’t too shabby either.

As you can see, Kathy is “slightly” taller than me and her IQ is probably 20 points above mine. I barely beat the curve in my testing but she is inching toward the genius level. I was greatly intimidated by her queenly status and dwarfed by her intellectual ability the first time we met and it took me three plus years to ask her out and, up to this day, I still wonder how in the world I mustered enough courage to ask for the hand of someone who was in all ways superior to me. Was I trying to prove the old Chinese saying wrong? I was more of a lizard than a dragon, but Kathy was unquestionably a phoenix. Twenty-eighty years of blessed marriage later, I still look at myself in the mirror with amazement and ask: “What have you done to deserve such good fortune?”

I have done nothing, really. I did have a perfect Matchmaker who made all the difference. With his intervention and supernatural maneuvering the impossible became possible and the unthinkable happened during a midsummer night when a beautiful fairy fell in love with a man with a mule’s head. I guess you know the rest of the story. What has happened to me merely affirms the idea that I hold to be true: a wife of noble character is given to us by God. Now you know what to do if you are still in the process of finding the right one. Worldly ideas and traditional beliefs concerning dating and courtship may or may not be applicable in your romantic pursuit. It matters very little whether you are a dragon or a lizard in people’s eyes; the thing for you to do is to go before the throne of grace and ask for advice and a helping hand from the One who really knows and has the power to assist you in your grandiose enterprise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww, I love this!

Anonymous said...

Rob and Sahar = dragon and phoenix