Tuesday, March 25, 2008

No Call!

GUILTY!!!


I was expecting the Aggies to lose even when they were ten points ahead and about eight minutes from upsetting the mighty Bruins; therefore, the notorious no-call at the end of the game didn’t bother me all that much. That’s how things are supposed to end in the real world, isn’t it? The little guys are always victimized by the class bully and, no matter how hard the less-endowed try, the bully always comes out on top. We all know too well how the jocks always get the cheerleaders and homecoming queens and we get the rejects and the nerds and there is nothing we can do but feel sorry for ourselves and hope for a better world where fair is fair and sunshine always burns away filthy air. I do by no means consider the proud fighting Aggies little guys, but in the world of college basketball, we are relatively small, especially compared to UCLA.

Going back to the no-call.

1.The bad guys may get to the Final Four, or even win the whole thing, but we are still the ones who will get the last laugh – a moral victory is, in fact, a real victory in my book - the Book of Judgment, that is.

2.Being robbed of a victory, or a possible victory, is better than victory itself, for a victory will quickly be forgotten, but a near-victory will forever be remembered. Remember the one that got away? O the yearning that creates so much pain akin to joy! Have I lost you here, dear readers?

3.We have gained so many friends by losing. Misery does love company, for most of us are wannebes, not bes. Believe it not, I even overheard some sympathetic comments coming from the talking heads on the Red Raider radio program. Amazing! The people who enjoy hating everything Aggie finally came to their senses and sided with the good guys.

4.The no-call further fortified the Aggie notion of “us-against-the world” and made us more united as a family. By the way, am I part of the proud Aggie family, Michael? Can I cash in all the hours that I have earned from Ole Miss for an Aggie ring?

5.Of course, there is always next year. The expectation bred by failure is far greater than by success, and the joy of a long-awaited triumph tastes much sweeter than otherwise.

6.Therefore three cheers for the no-call and for all the losers in the mad pursuit of an inglorious crown in this long “Ides of March.”

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

"Being robbed of a victory, or a possible victory, is better than victory itself, for a victory will quickly be forgotten, but a near-victory will forever be remembered. Remember the one that got away? O the yearning that creates so much pain akin to joy! Have I lost you here, dear readers?"

Interesting point... surely we would not have quickly forgotten this win though.

Anonymous said...

Read this William

"Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweeter; therefore, ye soft pipes, play on;
Not to the sensual ear, but, more endear'd,
Pipe to the spirit ditties of no tone:
Fair youth, beneath the trees, thou canst not leave 15
Thy song, nor ever can those trees be bare;
Bold Lover, never, never canst thou kiss,
Though winning near the goal—yet, do not grieve;
She cannot fade, though thou hast not thy bliss,
For ever wilt thou love, and she be fair!"
-Keats

Anonymous said...

A poetic sports post

EJ Chang said...

I followed the link on Justin's page and found this, and I just had to comment and say that this post was LEGIT! So well written. So true. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyable. My disrespect for T-Shirt fans has been somewhat diminished.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that nice compliment, but I felt kind of bad because that offically classified me as a "T-Shirt" fan. I can't believe after spending tons of money sending my three sons to Aggieland and eight years and four Aggie deplomas later, I am still classified as a T-Shirt fan by my Aggie family. Come on, cut me some slack and call me a fightin' Texas Aggie.

Anonymous said...

You're an Ag through and through, Dr. Sea.