Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Miracles



“Jews demand miraculous signs and Greek look for wisdom…”
1 Co 1:22

If we see things right, everything is miraculous; but if we take all things as random, nothing is out of the ordinary. Miracles are in the eye of the beholder.

My birth was a miracle, and my life has been miraculous and will continue to be until the day I die, and what will transpire after I depart from my body will be the greatest miracle of them all.

They were surrounded by miracles, yet the Jews still demanded more miraculous signs. How many signs from above did they have to witness before they came to the realization that all things are in fact miraculous.

The blind regaining their sight is truly miraculous, but the fact that I am able to see is even more miraculous. The things we do routinely that we have deemed ordinary will never become extraordinary until we are no longer able to do them.

I used to play tennis in the noonday sun and wintry cold, but now I am not motivated to play even in perfect weather. It was nothing short of miracle that I was able to run and jump, and to hit a small yellow ball repeatedly for hours. Youth is indeed quite miraculous, yet we seem to take it for granted until we age.

It’s miraculous that we are alive, isn’t it? Yet we continue to demand the Lord to show us more miracles. To live is supernatural; to die is natural. We live in a supernatural world without knowing it, let alone appreciating it.

I haven’t been sick for years, but I begin to grumble the moment I become slightly ill and pray for a miracle of instant healing. The miracles that we demand from the Lord aren’t the thousands of them that we have clearly seen; they are the very ones that we haven’t seen, the ones that are truly out of the ordinary.

“Lord, I can never thank you enough for what you have done for me and my family thus far and I don’t dare to ask for more. Even if you don’t do anything for me from now on, I will forever be grateful for what you have done on my behalf in the past,” I prayed this prayer in one of the darkest moments of my life when I realized that the evil one was tempting me to become bitter about God’s inaction and casting doubt in my weary heart about God’s grace and mercy.

I have seen enough in my life to never demand for more.

No comments: