Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Self-loathing

Future football star!->

None of us likes ourselves entirely. There is always something that we dislike about ourselves. I am not all that comfortable under my own skin. I don’t even like my skin color all that much. I get too dark if I am exposed to the sun just a little bit. William thought I was black when he was a little boy. It’s odd that dark-skinned people would like to be fairer and fair-skinned people would like to be darker. We seem to have difficulty accepting ourselves as who we are and desire to be someone else if we can. The problem is that the someone we would like to be most likely doesn’t like herself either. A lot of movie stars are not that pleased with their looks and have problems with self-esteem and many great athletes seem to feel that they repeatedly need to prove themselves.

Who do you really want to be? Nicole Kidman or Bill Gates? It’s fun to fancy that, but it may not be all that pretty in reality. Kidman may be longing for true love that seems to have eluded her and Gates may have problems with insomnia and an anxiety disorder. I used to feel sorry for the guys who do manual labor for a living, not knowing that those people most likely have a better appetite for food and sleep a lot sounder than I do.

Instead of trying so hard to become someone else or to turn ourselves into a worldly success, we need to work on being the best that we can be. We have to build upon the foundation and structure that has been laid by the Builder. With a 5’ 9’ frame (a little stretched) I can never be a basketball star, but I can still practice my shooting and learn to enjoy the game just the same. Being illiterate in math, trying to become an engineer is going against the grain or swimming against a strong current. It’s better for me to cultivate my natural aptitude for writing and other artistic crafts.

“You cannot couch height.” This is quite a cruel statement, isn’t it? Well, there are plenty of couchable things in short people. In fact, we can surely use our shortness to our advantage and excel to great heights.

No comments: