Friday, November 23, 2007

Things for which I am thankful


White thanksgiving. First time ever, I suppose.

Boys are home. Michael showing off his six pack, well, two of them are hardly visible, and William his broad shoulders, easy to lean on for someone special.

Rob not being home saved us from another defeat in the Turkey Bowl. I challenged my opponents, namely Michael and William, to play one on two in the snow, but they declined. No guts and no shame.

Rob called from the Big Apple. Not being home for the first time in twenty five years. I guess he has enough good memories to sustain him during the holiday away.

Thanksgiving meal was very good and I had the appetite to fully enjoy it.

Kathy and the boys are in good health. My dog Katy survived two bouts with severe illnesses in the last few months and came out victorious. She is still alive and kicking, albeit not as vigorous as she used to be.

I can still write and preach, and occasionally crack a joke or two that may or may not draw any laughter.

I can still do ten push-ups, the first five with ease and the last five with gnashing of my teeth. I can run a mile and walk a lot longer than that.

I am happy most of the time when nothing bothers me and the problems that I have encountered didn’t usually outlast my depression.

I have a blog that generates some comments from young people who consider that this ole man actually has something to say.

The Wolfshohl brothers and wjw, my ultimate envy of web blogging.

I still miss Ole Miss and dream about going back to Oxford to retire someday, but I am also welcoming my new love, a concubine who may actually draw me to Aggieland for good.

The Aggie war hymn seems to have the same effect on me as the time when I heard the Ole Miss band plays Dixie. A man is allowed to have two wives in this case, even though Michael tries his best to keep me from loving all things Aggie too much.

Spotted a couple of Aggie rings that I am contemplating purchasing. Ring check, anyone?

The anticipation of getting a new football coach who will take “us” (sorry Michael) to new heights that we have never been before.

I have a son who is a musician and a poet like his dad, and a doctor wannbe son who is a lot of things that I am not, a son who flew first class to China and stayed in a five-star hotel in Beijing and HK where I have never been, and a wife who is beyond compare in beauty, virtue, and grace.

My youngest will soon make a “homecoming” for his dad, TFA in Mississippi Delta.

All these things are made possible by the Father in heaven whose greatest pleasure is to spoil his children, you and me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Guru. This is a very good reminder for everyone to give thanks for a year filled with many blessings.

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for a systematic dismantling of Jokhio state by the Turgeon Genera.

Anonymous said...

Are you referencing the new coach A&M will get or Ole Miss. Didn't they both lose coaches.

William said...

Good job Dad

the count said...

potent post Mr. Sea